Many divorces could be precluded if we were only more diligent in maintaining intimate communication. A lack of this honest sharing before marriage predisposes the couple to serious consequences. It is so important that you understand each others values, beliefs, commitments, goals and expectations before marriage. If communication on this intimate level begins before the honeymoon, it's more likely to continue after the daily responsibilities of marriage set in.
To encourage intimate communications for those approaching marriage or for those who have been married for many years, I have prepared a selection of 26 discussion questions for you as a couple to review and share with each other. We spend thousands of dollars and many hours preparing for our careers but devote little time to preparing for a life time commitment in marriage. The time you spend discussing these questions together as a couple could be the most important time you will ever spend.
Each person should read the question and then share your response to it.
1. Money is?
2. If we have extra money available after paying all necessary obligations, I would like to see it used for?
3. Tithing is?
4. I believe that we need $______________ annually in order to live at what I consider to be an adequate standard of living.
5. In my opinion, the perfect family consists of __________ children.
6. Spanking as a form of discipline is?
7. Should the mother be at home with pre-school children?
8. One of my goals in life is to?
9. As a couple, I believe that we should have joint/individual goals?
10. As a Christian, I have one goal, which is?
11. I believe church is?
12. A Christian is?
13. Involvement in church is?
14. The Bible is?
15. Devotions/quiet times are?
16. In setting my priorities for life, the following represents the order of their importance to me. (church, self, God, career, family)
17. Ten years from now I would like to be?
18. Twenty years from now I would like to be?
19. I believe that sexual relations in marriage are?
20. I believe that sexual relations outside of marriage are?
21. Communications on sexual matters are seldom discussed in marriage. Since this is an important part of marriage, I promise to ________________________________________________________________________________________________________ when concerns are felt.
22. Traditions are important to family stability. One tradition I would like us to develop as a couple/family is?
23. One tradition that I'll always remember from my childhood is?
24. If I ever have a concern or a problem with someone in your family, I will ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ .
25. A fathers role in the family is?
26. A mothers role in the family is?
Prepared by Randy Carlson