What was the goal behind the plagues against the leader and people of Egypt in the time of Moses?
To free the people of Isarael from being enslaved by the Egyptians.
To honor the promise he made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob for their peoples’ future.
To make God known by all people.
Was there any doubt that the plagues were from God?
For each of the plagues, God claimed responsibility before the plague happened.
As the plagues (10 in all) were happening, Pharaoh acknowldged that he had “sinned”. When?
After the plague of hail and fire (#7), Pharaoh said he “and his people were wrong, and God was right”.
Pharaoh repeated his admission at plague #8.
What was “sin” to Pharaoh?
After the plague of frogs (#2), Pharaoh said he would let the people go. He said that after #4, #7, and #8 too.
Pharaoh broke his promise 4 times. Perhaps he meant God was right that he should let the Isaraelites go…
Were the plagues predicted like our weather? 40% chance of rain, maybe, sometime tomorrow…
1. Nile becomes blood – God said what would happen and it immediately did
2. Frogs – ditto
3. Gnats – ditto
4. Flies (selective region) – the next day, as stated
5. Death of cattle (selective region) – the next day, as stated
6. Boils and sores (selective region) – timeline not stated
7. Hail and fire (selective region) – the next day, as stated
8. Locusts (selective region) – the next day, as stated
9. Darkness (selective region) – timeline not stated
10.Death of first-born of people and cattle (selective homes) – at midnight, as stated.
These weren't predictions. For God, they were known facts with no margin of error. They happened.
What did God want from Pharaoh?
He wanted Pharaoh to humble himself and obey (Exodus 10:3).
But this message is not just for Pharaoh – God repeats this same message over again throughout the bible, for us all…
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.